Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tough....but rewarding.

Strength
15 mins to work to heavy (high hang) Clean & Jerk

1st competition 3 months in
(notice the J's!)

Hypertrophy work
5x5 clean high pulls EMOM
3x5 strict press EMOM

Condition
20 burpees
40 toes 2 bar
20 burpees
40 cal row
20 burpees
40 c2b pull ups
20 burpees

Had a tough, but rewarding day of training today.  I've been somewhat following Rudy Nielson's olympic programming for the past month or so leading into regionals (thinking it would help) and I've been pleasantly pleased w the progress.  Really what has happened is I've been forced to oly lift.  Previously I'd just kinda conjur up my own "power clean" and "power snatch" work (which I'd still progress in), and only do it once a week or so.  So this has forced me to practice full lifts almost 3 times a week.  (This has also overflown into SMCF programming).  I think it's kinda funny to hear big time exercisers (which are usually a joke to begin w) say, "I started following the Outlaw Way and I put 50lbs on my snatch.  He's brilliant!".  When in reality you better be putting up some big time improvements if you go from never oly lifting, to all of a sudden only focusing on oly lifting.....  Anyways.

I spent some time working up to a heavy single on "high hang" clean & jerk.  Working from the "high hang" postition is always a challenge because it forces you to immediately commit to dropping under the weight.....  and for me, committing under heavy weight is a struggle!! I'm getting better though. I hit 275 for a single....

I also added some hypertrophy/auxillary work w high clean pulls and strict presses.  Both felt fine, but I definitely was a little smoked from going so heavy (for me) on the clean and jerk.

Conditioning for me right now is just kinda "whatever".  I'm trying to cut back a bit.... Alot of what I'll follow comes from Outlaw of OPT w my own little touch on it.  It's hard to "religiously" follow someone else's program when they have no idea what your strengths, weaknesses, and schedule are...  I just need to make sure I get really uncomfortable for a short period of time....and anything w burpees usually accomplishes that. I finished this just under 11mins as I was pacing myself on the pull up bar, so my hands can fully heal.

2 comments:

  1. HUD, 275 on clean & jerk...great job man..keep taking steps forward..you're a lot of people's motivation inside the box..keep bringin' it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiley!!! Thanks man. That means alot coming from an active soon to be drill sergeant. You're the real inspiration! TEAMBRINGIT!lol

      Delete