Thursday, August 8, 2013

2 new meanings to letting it flow!lol
Wednesday
Strength
Box squat 5x5
GHD work

Conditioning
30-20-10
Pull ups
GHD sit ups
-then
10 min aerobic

The past week or so has been a grind to train through.  I haven't been feeling up to par, due to a minor case of the ol' stomach flu.  It wasn't anything severe, it just lasted for almost 2 weeks!  Yep, nothing solid for almost 2 weeks.lol disgusting, I know....  But fortunately, I've been feeling much better the past few days, and training/coaching has definitely reflected it....

Yesterday (like most Wednesdays) I did lots of posterior chain work.  Typically, I'll go heavy w deadlifts every other week, so being that I had box squats this week, there wasn't a whole lot of anxiety going into this one. The deadlifts will get you!lol.... I went light on the box squats and really focused on loading everything properly.  It's easy sometimes on box squats to overload yourself w weight & not load what's meant to be loaded.  The cheeks.lol..  Box squats are a great way to develop the posterior chain.  They also help teach proper mechanical loading and can greatly strengthen the hips w a wider stance (partial reasoning for doing them).  I finished the strength w lots of GHD assistance work.  The GHD machine is one of the most underrated, underused (and probably improperly used) machines in every gym.  If your gym has one, learn how to use it and get on it!!

Lately I've revisited some goals of mine and reevaluated where I'm at....  I think one of the most important things about setting goals is being realistic.  Of course this seems simple from a broad point of view, but it's beneficial to make sure most of your goals are realistic, in that they are achievable within your circumstance/capability/time table?  Going to Hawaii for the ironman probably isn't going to work for a weekend runner.....  I think a person's goals, should depict their everyday decisions.  Coach Shy called it winning right now.  "We all want to win the National Championship, but what can you do at this exact moment to help that cause?"  Usually it was about going to class.lol  But if my goal was to lose 5 pounds, what are the steps I need to take to realistically achieve that goal?  It's easy to set huge goals for yourself, and forget what it's actually going to take to accomplish them.....  It helps me to constantly ask myself, am I getting closer to achieving my goals by doing this? or hindering myself?

AND ain't nobody ever got time for rowing a half marathon!!!

1 comment: