Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Had the privilege of revisiting this gem last week! 
Tuesday
Strength/Skill
Cleans (15 mins to work to heavy pause double)
Superset:
Press 5x5 (worked to 175)
Pull up x10(chest to bar w kip)

Condition
30 Full (squat) cleans for time @ 225#

Tuesday was a bruiser.  As typical of most Tuesdays, I work on my least favorite movement.  The CLEAN!!ahh  It's funny because when it comes to outside the gym, I enjoy clean.lol  I'd consider myself a pretty "clean" guy (whatever that means), but when it comes to lifting there's not much worse than heavy(and it's always heavy for me) cleans....  I'm terrible at them, and have really been trying to make improvements in this area since regionals....

I worked to 265 for a (pause) double before missing on the strength side.....  And after last week's lighter, faster technique work, I felt much better w bar speed and movement under the bar.  Sometimes just working on perfect reps w less resistance can help tremendously. It's just the standing up part that's tough....  I ended my lifting w a few other strength moves..... strict presses and pull ups.  Pressing is a very difficult movement to make huge gains in w out putting on bodyweight.  The more mass one has, the more mass one moves.  It's science.  Don't question.lol....  and I can still do pull ups!  I was getting a little worried, since it has been some time since I did them last..  I'm already nervous about Fran Friday.lol

For conditioning I did an old school tester.  30 cleans for time.  It's a great test of skill, strength, and endurance.  For me, the strength of this lift is where I struggle most, so I just tried to pace myself and shoot for 1 every 10s.  Well, this strategy lasted for about 10s.  Living up to Mike Tyson's motto of "having a plan until getting punched" was exactly what I did.lol.  I think it took me about 7 mins...  I'm really looking forward to retesting this one down the road.

CrossFit is sure to expose weakness.  As previously stated, cleans are a glaring weakness of mine, and if I want to get better I have to work on them.  A big part of improving at something is just doing it.  Thanks Nike....  But whether it's in the gym, workplace, or classroom there are always areas we struggle.  The goal then is to turn that "weakpoint" into a strength.  I can remember spending countless hours dribbling a basketball w my left hand until I was just as good, if not better than my right.  People can get way to boastful w things they're good at.  It takes true character and strength to swallow your pride and confront struggling areas in life.

1 comment:

  1. Powerful, powerful messages in this blog HUD. Truly inspiring, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete