Wednesday, June 5, 2013

SKWATTS

Just go to 2 chefs on Pelham & order the "Hudson" lol 
Strength
Box squat (7x2)
Mark Bell Skwatts 3x5(good morning, then squat)

Condition
20 mins
Odd:  5 deadlifts (335)
Even:  3 muscle ups

4rounds:
1 min ME burpees
1 min rest

Today was a great day leading into some rest.  Lots of barbell work, ending w some cardiac purgatory.  I also had the privilege to work w Dayna again.  It's been a good week.  Thursdays I will row, run, or swim at a low intensity & try to work in some extra mobility.  Since moving, I've been slack w my mobility and need to get better at keeping up.  Many overlook mobility wout realizing that it's a huge aspect of fitness.  I'm a firm believer that better mobility translates to a better athlete (oly lifting, power lifting, gymnastics, real sports lol, etc).  From a basic health perspective, all joints are meant to have full range of motion.  So if it's difficult to keep good spinal positioning during a toe touch, it's going to be extra iffy when you're trying to snatch a barbell off the floor...  Needless to say, I got some time for mobility.

Wednesday's I typically try to go heavier on either squat or deadlift, and then supplement one w the other through conditioning.  So this week I started things off w some box squats.  Usually when I go heavier w squats I'll follow a template similar to the Thompson squat cycle and work in 2s (but only every 3rd week or so).

After squatting, I did the famous Mark Bell Skwatts for some auxiliary work and just really focused on range of motion.  It's amazing the difference it can make if you really zone in on specific, helpful cues during movements..... then came the deathlifting.

I worked in lots of reps w something heavy on the deathlifts, and paired it w some muscle ups.  This got difficult!  Not the muscle ups, but the deadlifts started moving slow and got heavy fast.  Going heavy always challenges form, and it's imperative for me during conditioning to really focus on positioning....  To me, this couplet setup is a classic example of what CrossFit entails.  It's brilliance.  Show me a guy who runs a 5 min mile, and I'll show you someone who deadlifts 500lbs.  Whats's fitness???  Well, w this viewpoint it's all the above....

Dayna and I then did some burpees....  & by some, I mean 100.... in 4 mins.  BOOM!  God is good....

No comments:

Post a Comment